Monday, June 7, 2010

Second Time's a Charm for Killer Joran van der Sloot

Ok, I know it's not a local case, but I will comment anyway...

First off, my condolences to the family of Stephany Flores Ramirez, the beatiful Peruvian 21 year old that seems to have been Joran van der Sloot's second (at least) murder victim.  van der Sloot, for anyone who doesn't remember, is the Dutch national who was arrested twice, but released for "lack of evidence" in the 2005 disappearance / killing of Natalee Halloway, and American vacationing in Aruba.  It looks as though, like most criminals, van der Sloot was at it again.  If any good comes from this case, it the Peruvians will convict van der Sloot and keep him locked up in an awful place for a few lifetimes.  It's a shame though that Peru's death penalty is reserved for "crimes committed in exceptional circumstances", murder alone not being an exceptional circumstance.

More coverge here on cnn.com.    Let's not forget the victims of both horrible crimes, and their families.

4 comments:

  1. Hey John, I know I'm gonna sound like a nitwit here, but I'm curious: what really happens during a typical drug deal? Are pleasantries exchanged, small talk about the Phillies or Eagles? Might the customer mention the quality of the product (or lack thereof)? Is there any salesmanship? All I know is what I see on "Cops," and who knows how accurate TV is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, I guess it all depends. Some truths about drugs: drug buyers and sellers come from "all walks of life"; not all drug deals happen on urban street corners - despite what we see on tv; some of theses drug episodes turn violent, ending in the death of one party or the other.

    Mostly I think, drug deals happen anywhere, countless times a day, and for the people doing the buying or selling, it just might be as casual as buying a pack of cigarettes.

    All that being said, COPS is a great show, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the insight, as always, John Q. Yes, I do love "Cops"! What a bunch of idiots -- the criminals, that is. It's beyond me how you guys keep your temper and sense of humor after being lied to all day long -- "No, that weed ain't mine; no idea what it's doing in my pants!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad they got Van der Sloot. We have hated that he got away for 5 years. They just can't do enough to punish this guy. They say maybe only 15 years and they give a day off sentence for every good day served in Peru. I hope not.

    ReplyDelete