Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Quick Funny Story

Great story happened today. 

So, I'm just pulling into the police station, with about 10 minutes to go on my shift.  Its about 90 degrees and humid, and I've been sweating all day long.  I just stopped at Rita's water ice and treated myself to a Wild Black Cherry Gelati with vanilla custard. It looks delicious.

Another officer calls out with a foot pursuit.  He's just stopped a stolen vehicle, and the driver fled from the vehicle on foot.  I sigh, because I imagine my Gelati slowly melting while I'm called to assist the other officer.  Dutifully, yet reluctantly, I carefully place my Gelati on the ground next to the door of the station, and I pedal as expeditiously as I can toward the call for assistance.  After about two minutes,  two women flagged me down in front of their house and told me that "he ran that-a-way!" pointing to their back yard.  It wasn't until I was in the yard that one of them warned me about their pit bull dog.  (side note - he was friendly)  After about 10 minutes of searching, another officer and I found the suspect hiding in a back yard a few blocks from where he ran.   He was actually hiding in a storage shed that was no less than 177 degrees.

So we get the guy locked up and on his way to the police station.  Turns out he is a young kid, 14 or 15 years old.  As I'm walking back to my bike that I ditched where the two helpful women were, one tells me that she saw the kid running toward her house, and she recognized him from the neighborhood.  She asked him what the heck he was doing.  The juvenile's response, "Can I just have a cigarette?  The cops are chasing me!" 


When I got back to the station, I was delighted to see that my Wild Black Cherry Gelati was only partially melted.  I enjoyed it before leaving for the day. 


1 comment:

  1. haha, good work! Did they give him a cigarette? priorities, huh?

    ReplyDelete