Monday, May 17, 2010

What Being A Police Officer Has Taught Me

I've been desperately searching the headlines for a topic for my next post, but I've been striking out.  I mean, who wants to hear my opinion on oil leaks in the Gulf of Mexico or what I think Arlen Specter's odds or re-election are.  So, with that in mind, I've decided to give my readers (both of them!) insight into the mind of this police officer.  I've been a police officer for slightly over a decade.  (sounds better than ten years, right?)  In that time, here are some of my opinions that have changed.

  • I am no longer an opponent of The Death Penalty.  Through college and for my first several years in law enforcement I could cite any one of a number of reasons why I thought capital punishment should be abolished.  Now, I need look no further than the City of Philadelphia to find four or five good reasons to support the death penalty.  It's become a no brainer to me - murder a police officer -- death penalty.
  • I don't think it society's job to "rehabilitate" criminals.  If someone chooses to commit a crime, why should taxpayers be burdened with 1) picking up the bill for their incarceration, 2) picking up the bill for a prisoner's GED or other training, and 3) suffer the victimization again when the prisoner gets released, because yes, most prisoners, regardless of what "training" they received in prison, go on to commit more crimes.
  • Police officers are just people.  We are not perfect.  We are capable of making mistakes.  When Bob the builder makes an honest mistake, your new roof leaks.  You get it repaired, Bob the builder stands up for his work and fixes the repair, and you move on.  When the dry cleaner makes a mistake, he loses your shirt, he apologizes,  you get a 10 free dry cleanings, and you move on.  But when the police officer makes a mistake, he's a liar, a cheat, and corrupt.  
But, not all that I've learned is negative and pessimistic.  I've learned that most people are genuinely good.  While there are truly evil people in the world, they are the minority.  I've also learned what melatonin supplements are for.  I've learned how to function on 2 hours of sleep.  I've learned how to eat an entire meal in three minutes.  I've learned how to really appreciate good coffee.  I've learned the importance of seatbelts.  I could go on but I won't.

That's all I got for now...

Thank you PO John Pawlowski, Sgt Timothy Simpson, Sgt Patrick McDonald, PO Isabel Nazario, Sgt Steven Liczbinski, PO Chuck Cassidy, PO Walter Barclay Jr, PO Gary Skerski, and all the other men and women who have given their lives in the line of duty. 

3 comments:

  1. The importance of seatbelts in your line of work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seatbelts save lives, don't they. Seatbelts aren't cool. They are uncomfortable. They wrinkle clothing. But, they also save lives. As a police officer, I face danger everyday. If I am going to be injured or worse on duty, it won be because I wasn't buckled up. Every year too many cops fall in the line of duty as a result of car crashes. I won't be one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hard cold reality. Ya know how to dish it out there, John Q.

    ReplyDelete