Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Phillies Fan Gets Tasered





Ok, I couldn’t resist. When I saw the article and photo of the 17 year old Phillies fan getting Tasered, I figured I’d hear about it. (http://www.dailylocal.com/articles/2010/05/05/news/srv0000008193740.txt)

It didn’t take long, either. By 8 in the morning, three people at Wawa had already asked me what I thought about it. So here it is. This is what I think:

The 17 year old committed a crime. When confronted by security and/or police, he fled. He had an opportunity to simply give up, but he didn’t. The police / security chased him. The police officer used a tool he was trained to use in a manner in which he was trained to use it. The 17 year old boy was arrested without further incident. Despite what his father is quoted as saying, “He really doesn't do anything wrong. He's a real good kid”, the fact of the matter is that he DID do something wrong. Thank goodness, none of the police, security, or other persons were injured.

As far as what we think the police officer should have done, its easy to be a Monday morning quarterback. I personally think that it seems the officer acted appropriately. From the video I saw, the officer didn’t punch, or kick the kid. He didn’t beat him with his police baton. He deployed his Taser, a lower level of force, and affected a safe arrest.

Maybe someone should ask Monica Seles what she thinks. Remember, she was tennis player who was stabbed by a fan who ran out onto the tennis court and seemed to be "just playing around" until he plunged a nine inch knife into her back.

Maybe after the 17 year old’s father thinks about it, he’ll thank the police.


2 comments:

  1. Agreed. Who knows what you are dealing with at the time. Sure in retrospect he's an unarmed 17 year old on a thrill seeking (probably intoxicated) adventure, but you don't know that until afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I could say the same thing about the latest news in Coatesville too.

    ReplyDelete