Friday, May 28, 2010

Eight Men Out


When I got home this morning after a long, boring, rainy night shift, I turned on the TV and saw that Eight Men Out, the movie about the 1919 Chicago "Black" Sox Baseball team that intentionally lost the World Series, was on.  Being a baseball fan, and not quite tired enough to sleep, I kept it on.  For those readers that are not familiar with the history, in 1919, gamblers persuaded eight members of the 1919 Chicago White Sox baseball team to throw the World Series.  These team members supposedly received payoffs to not play up to their capability.  Most famous among the eight men out was "Shoeless" Joe Jackson.  Jackson was reportedly paid $5000 to throw the series; however,  his batting average was the highest of all players in the series and he made no errors in the field.  Regardless, he was named as one of the eight players who participated in the conspiracy, and he, along with the other seven, was banned from baseball forever.

As soon as the movie was over, I checked the Daily Local's website, as I normally do once or twice a day.  I saw that the "Breaking News" was that a Kennett Square police officer was arrested on rape charges.  I couldn't help but draw parallels.   Let me say this:   If the officer is guilty, I make no excuses for him.  If he is not guilty, I hope that the imperfect system we put out trust in does him justice.  I also wish the best for the victim(s). 

Regardless of the final verdict, people will look at the Kennett Square Police and police in general as untrustworthy, corrupt, criminal, unprofessional, etc.  People will be angry, confused, disappointed, and upset.  I stress to whoever reads this blog that even if the worst is true in this particular case, that it is the EXCEPTION to the rule.  If the allegations are true, the officer in question did a great disservice to the 99.9% of officers that are good people.  Good police do not tolerate bad police.  The rotten apple does spoil the bunch.  We are aware of that.  When the rotten apples are identified, they are removed before the bunch spoils.  If any good comes from these instances, it is that people can see that good police do not tolerate bad police.

As bad a mark as the Black Sox scandal made on baseball, it is still America's Pastime.  Americans still delight in a night at the ballpark.  Likewise, as bad a mark as cases like these leave of the law enforcement profession, the profession can still be trusted.

4 comments:

  1. For what it is worth, that's already what I think, and what the people I know think - that officers are human beings who joined up because they want to do good, and who work hard in difficult circumstances. I know that the haters are gonna hate, but they made their mind up long ago, and I don't think that they change their tune much regardless of what happens, good or bad.

    Google "Jonathan Coulton shoeless Joe" for an awesome, funny song about the game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the thoughts, and for the song. Pretty
    funny. "is she really goin out with him?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey John Q, a couple of things:
    What's your opinion on this alcohol tax being proposed by Borough Council to pay for increased police presence? Would it work? Is it what's needed?
    What's up with Kennett Square's PD? Two arrests in recent months for some bad stuff. Did the previous police chief know about it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading Wendy. I'll address your questions in the order you presented them.

    1) I am all about low taxes. I don't believe taxpayers, in general, should pay for services that they either don't create the need for or they don't benefit from. User fees, rather than taxes, seem like a better formula to me. If establishments that peddle alcohol have a direct impact on the quality of life, the impact of police service, etc, then I think that they should pay for the impact they cause.

    I am not sure that the currently proposed alcohol tax is the exact answer, but I'm inclined to think its a step in the right direction.

    2) I think the troubles surrounding Kennett's PD are an anomaly. Recently two officers have been arrested. That's scary. But, as a citizen I hope that they are the exception, not the rule. As a local police officer myself, I'm here to say that it is the exception, not the rule.

    I can't imagine the previous Chief, Chief McCarthy, would have known about any of these issues and not acted to handle them. I can't imagine the current Chief of Police knew either.

    More to come in future posts.

    Read on...

    ReplyDelete