Monday, November 29, 2010

Philly Police Anti-Crime Tactics Under Fire...Again

The Philadelphia Police Department is being sued in Federal Court.  The ACLU (of course) is alleging that the Philly PD "stop and frisk" tactic has resulted in the unfair stopping of racial minorities.  Police leaders have argued that the tactic has reduced crime, and that it does not target any particular race.  To me, this seems to be another case that the ACLU has latched on that will eventually just make the streets less safe for law-abiding citizens.  At what cost, I wonder, does the ACLU do its business?

More coverage here

3 comments:

  1. Over in my neck of the political woods, the ACLU can do no wrong, and sunshine shines brightly out of the keister of every lawyer doing pro-bono work for the ACLU. So I'm glad (I'm not being sarcastic) to read the other side of the story, here, from someone whose work is impacted. On the internet, we tend to just tend to see the opinions of folks that agree with us, and you end up never learning anything or having your beliefs challenged in any way.

    I'm still fairly rabidly pro-ACLU, but I just wanted to say I appreciate hearing your side of things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. Like I said before, I don't disagree with all of the cases the ACLU supports(ed). However, within the last 2 or so decades, when it comes to crime and safety, I think the ACLU has gotten it wrong. That being said, the right to express opposing viewpoints is part of what makes this America. But I'm still right! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate both sides as an American. However, any tool that assists police in helping keep the public safe is a good thing. To take that tool away and put the public in danger in this day and age is un-American. It's just like the airport searches, if you don't like it don't fly. If you don't like PPD tactics, move.

    ReplyDelete