Thursday, September 9, 2010

Furnishing Alcohol, Destroying Lives

What a surprise, alcohol is the subject of another post.

On the front page of today's Daily Local News is an article about a 22 year old who police say bought booze for two teens just a few hours before a fatal car crash in the western part of Chester County back in July. Although it doesn't look like the police are saying that alcohol actually caused the crash, I wonder. I wonder how well the 22 year old is sleeping these days. I'm sure she knows the truth; I bet her conscience holds her responsible.

In Pennsylvania, Furnishing Alcohol to Minors is a misdemeanor 3, meaning it's the LEAST serious crime one can commit. I wonder if the parents of the teens involved in that crash think it's the least serious of crimes.

4 comments:

  1. Well In the event that alcohol plays ANY factor in the death of a teenager it SHOULD be bumped up to a felony. Now if Honeybrook was smart, they would watch that girl if she is out of jail already.. I know ALOT of angry people that probably wish her harm right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm not advocating vigilantes, but I can only imagine how friends and family of the deceased feel. Having said that, I don't believe that teens, by virtue of youth, are absolved of all responsibility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When are they going to crack down on the bars in West Chester? Many of the patrons can barely walk and there has to be many hundreds of drivers over the limit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good question Joe. Who do you mean when you ask "when are THEY going to crack down on the bars"? Personally, I think there are too many bars in town, but it seems like they just keep coming and coming. For as many thousands of patrons that get arrested or cited for unruly behavior after imbibing, the bar business doesn't seem to slow down. It's no secret that for every drunk that gets locked up, there's another one (or two or ten) that doesn't.

    But apparently, the bars don't make enough profit, because they can't afford to pay for the problems they cause. Who has to pay to clean up the mess? You with your tax dollars and me with my sweat.

    If

    ReplyDelete