Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Baseball Stadium Coming to West Chester?

I'm not sure how I feel about it, but there is a chance that the former Wyeth Pharmaceutical cite in the southeast section of West Chester Borough will become a new home to a Phillies minor league affiliate. Story here at the DailyLocal.

I wonder how neighbors would feel being walking distance from a 5 or 6 thousand seat stadium. I also wonder who would REALLY end up paying for the stadium. Who would pay for the added polo e service it would require? State grants (Aka tax-payer dollars) might pay for start up, but what's the long term impact?

If the stadium does become a reality, I hope the Phillies are still competitive when it's built.

4 comments:

  1. I see big expenses here for police and public works. How about a concert with attendees pouring into the neighborhoods and downtown? This is a bad fit for WC in my estimation. The politicos may get it done though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. Ultimately I don't think its right to build the stadium with ANY taxpayer dollars. Let private enterprise pay for it. Let the university raise tuition and buck up half. And set a plan for the same people to fund the ongoing costs of police, public works, etc. The borough doesn't need to own any more property.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I said elsewhere that i'd be protesting this last Saturday. Hopefully I'll have my sign together this evening so I can really be at the court house from 10-2 tomorrow. Please stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sincerest apologies to anyone who was expecting to see a protester today. I've been in the habit of forgetting that I have a serious nervousness problem when speaking in front of many people. If anyone would like to discuss protesting together, please contact me via my user name at gmail.com

    ReplyDelete